When you’re looking for a life insurance policy, there are many options on the market. A quick Google search for “term life insurance” returns about 369 million results. This makes it difficult to wade through all the information and purchase a policy.
Haven Life insurance can help you by simplifying the process. They offer an online-only application that takes about 25 minutes. For those who qualify, coverage can start right away with no medical exam.
Want to learn more? This Haven Life insurance review will look at coverage options, the application process and more.
If you’re looking for a term life insurance policy, Haven Life can be a good option. All policies are fully medically underwritten, resulting in a lower premium if you get approved.
Ease of use
Restrictions and limitations
- Easy application process
- Instant application decision
- Efficient payout
- Specific restrictions
- Available in US only
In This Article
What is Haven Life Insurance?
Haven Life insurance was founded on the belief that getting a life insurance policy shouldn’t be complicated. When co-founder Yaron Ben-Zvi was expecting his first child, it took him weeks to get a decision on a policy.
After going through the complicated process of getting coverage, he started Haven Life as a simple solution to the life insurance buying process. The company uses artificial intelligence and a proprietary algorithm to evaluate applicants instantly.
The application process can be completed online from a computer, phone or a tablet. If you have questions, customer service associates are on standby to help. Healthy applicants age 59 or younger can qualify for coverage up to $1 million that starts right away.
Life insurance policies by Haven Life are backed by Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company or MassMutual for short. With more than 160 years of industry experience and an A++ financial strength rating from AM Best, MassMutual offers a level of stability.
Another plus for Haven Life is their customer service. It has an “excellent” rating on TrustPilot with many positive reviews from customers. Reviewers also noted quick response rates from customer service reps and a smooth application process.
Review of Haven Life Insurance Coverage Options
With Haven Life, your only option is term life insurance. With this type of insurance, a policy lasts anywhere from 10 to 30 years. Term life insurance is a death benefit policy, which means the money is paid out if you die.
Whole or permanent life insurance pays out some or all of the premiums at the end of the policy term. However, whole term life insurance costs much more than term life insurance.
Term life insurance is like car insurance. When you have car insurance, you pay your monthly premiums for the peace of mind that you’re protected in case of an accident. However, if you don’t have any accidents, you don’t get your money back.
Similarly, term life insurance covers you in case something happens to you. It offers you peace of mind knowing that your loved ones will be taken care of if you pass away. It’s important to take out enough coverage to pay for the funeral and other expenses.
Haven Life only offers individual policies, so you and your spouse would each have to get life insurance. The maximum available coverage is $3 million for U.S. citizen applicants age 60 and younger.
Eligible non-U.S. citizens and applicants between the ages of 60 and 64 can apply for coverage up to $1 million.
All policies are fully medically underwritten, meaning the insurer uses your full medical history to determine your coverage eligibility. The result is lower policy premiums than policies that are not fully medically underwritten.
According to Haven Life, your monthly rate will remain the same for the duration of your policy. In case you become terminally ill, you may be able to access a portion of your policy’s benefit early.
Haven Life prides itself on offering end-to-end digital process, meaning that the entire application and approval is paperless. However, they have customer service representatives ready to answer your questions as you fill out the application.
You can get a rough quote of your monthly premiums through the Haven Life website. It will give you a general idea of how much you can expect to pay based on your health. However, to get your monthly rate, you will need to complete the application process.
If you don’t know how much coverage to get, Haven Life has a calculator to help you out. Some things to consider when estimating your coverage include replacing your after-tax income, health care for a non-working partner and funeral expenses. You should also allow for childcare expenses, the cost of your children’s college education and debt pay off.
When you fill out the online application, you will answer questions about your age, personal health history, family health history and lifestyle. Haven Life will verify all information against third-party vendors like the Medical Information Bureau, the Social Security Administration and the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
This is all standard for most life insurance applications. What makes the process different with Haven Life is that they analyze the information you provide in real-time instead of over a few weeks.
If they approve your Haven Life application, your coverage can start that day. The company offers InstantTerm, which can provide immediate coverage for qualified applicants age 59 or younger who apply for up to $1 million in coverage.
The sophisticated algorithm analyzes various data and health information, to make an eligibility decision in real-time. Sometimes, no medical exam will be necessary. However, in other cases, you will need to take a medical exam to complete the underwriting process.
Most times, a medical exam will be necessary to finalize coverage on a medically underwritten policy. While you wait for the exam results and a decision on your application, you can often have temporary life insurance coverage.
Only those age 59 or younger applying for up to $1 million in coverage are eligible for approval through InstantTerm.
It’s essential to be honest and thorough when completing your online application. The benefits payout depends on the applicant’s truthfulness when answering the health questions in the form.
Once you fill out the application, Haven Life will notify you if you need a medical exam or not. You will have temporary coverage for 90 days from the date you sign your application while you complete the medical exam.
If you are not granted temporary coverage, you have 30 days from the date you sign your application to complete your medical exam.
You will receive a call or an email to schedule your exam within two business days of completing your application. The process is meant to be convenient for you, so a trained paramedic will come to your home or office. You can also go to an ExamOne/Quest Lab location if you prefer.
Haven Life pays for the exam, which should take about 20 minutes. The paramedic will review your family’s medical history, take your blood pressure, measure your height and weight, and collect blood and urine samples.
Before the exam, Haven Life advises you not to eat or drink anything but water for eight hours, leading to your appointment. Also, they recommend you don’t do any exercise prior to the blood draw.
When you complete your application, you will be offered a rate based on the information you provide and the digital verification process. If you fill out everything accurately, your rate shouldn’t change after a medical exam.
However, the medical exam may uncover information that could increase or decrease your monthly rate. It’s also possible Haven Life may deny you coverage based on the results of the medical exam.
If the rate goes up, you may cancel the policy. In fact, you can cancel the policy at any point in the underwriting process.
Haven Life offers the option to get an estimated rate for your policy based on some basic information. You will have to provide information such as gender, age and desired coverage amount. The rate quote is based on various life insurance health classes.
For example, a 35-year-old woman who doesn’t smoke and is in good health can expect to pay $26.35 a month for a 20-year $500,000 policy. If she’s a smoker, her rate will jump to $77.60, all other things being equal.
A 35-year-old man who doesn’t smoke and is in good health can expect to pay $31.95 a month for a 20-year $500,000 policy. If he’s a smoker, his premium can jump to $100 a month for the same policy. Men are more expensive to insure than women, so premiums are usually higher.
The younger and healthier you are the lower your monthly premium. Buy a policy when you need it, and before you have any health issues. Make healthy choices and quit smoking before applying.
You should also buy the right policy to fit your needs. Medically underwritten life insurance policies offer lower premiums than simplified issue term life or whole life.
Haven Life Plus
Haven Life Plus is a rider to your term insurance policy that offers policyholders with additional benefits. It’s included in the cost of your Haven Life insurance and aims to help you live a healthier life.
Here’s what’s included:
- Aaptiv – as a Haven Life policyholder, you get free access to this fitness app with thousands of on-demand workouts. It includes running, strength training, yoga and meditation. The app subscription usually costs $99/year, but it’s free with Haven Life Plus.
- Trust & Will – this digital solution allows you to create legal wills for you and your partner – for free. It offers customized, state-specific options. This would typically cost you $129, but you get to create an individual or joint will plus a year of unlimited updates included with Haven Life Plus.
- LifeSite – this online safe deposit box offers a secure way to store, manage and share your family’s important documents. While it normally costs $80/year, it’s free with Haven Life Plus.
- Timeshifter – if you suffer from jet lag, Timeshifter can help you create travel plans that alleviate the symptoms. It uses the latest in sleep and circadian neuroscience research to help you personalize travel for your body. While it usually costs $24.99, you get a year free with Haven Life Plus.
- MinuteClinic – these walk-in clinics, located inside CVS Pharmacy and Target stores, offer a variety of health services, including flu shots. Haven Life Plus entitles you to a 15 percent discount on any single CVS MinuteClinic service.
Haven Life Plus discounts are available to Haven Life term life insurance policyholders in all states except Florida, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota and Washington. It also has limitations for residents of California.
All benefits are available as long as your Haven Life policy is active.
Pros and Cons
While a Haven Life term life insurance policy may be a good option for some, it’s not the right fit for everyone. Below are some pros and cons of a Haven Life insurance policy.
- Quick and easy application process – the entire application can be completed online in 25 minutes or less
- Paperless application – there’s no paperwork to turn in and no paper application, which takes longer to process
- Instant decision – you get a decision shortly after submitting your application because everything is digital
- Backed by A++ rated MassMutual – Haven Life is backed by MassMutual, which receives the highest rating by A.M. Best for financial strength and claims-paying ability
- Coverage up to $3 million – U.S. citizens age 60 or younger can get maximum coverage up to $3 million
- InstaTerm option – if you’re age 59 or younger and in good health, you may be approved for a policy based only on the information in your application – no medical exam necessary
- Quick exam – if you need to take a medical exam, the process is quick and painless, taking an average of 20 minutes
- Death benefit payout for terminal illness – if you’re diagnosed with a terminal illness and you have less than 12 months to live, Haven Life will let you receive a portion of your death benefit while still alive. This can help you pay for medical bills and extra care needed at the end of life
- Added benefits through Haven Life Plus – if you have a Haven Life term life insurance policy, you get access to extra benefits and discounts to help you stay healthy, create a will and keep your documents safe
- Digital application is not for everyone – while Haven Life prides itself on its completely digital application process, not everyone is comfortable filling out personal details online. For people who prefer a paper application, Haven Life does not offer this option
- Must be age 65 or younger to apply – older applicants who would like to take out term life insurance don’t have this option with Haven Life. You must be age 18-65 to get a policy
- InstaTerm option is limited to those age 59 and younger – to be considered and approved for coverage without a medical exam, you need to be age 59 or younger and in excellent health; otherwise, you need to take a medical exam
- Must live in the U.S. – if you’re a U.S. citizen but living abroad, Haven Life will not approve you for a term life policy. You must live in the U.S. to get approved
- Not available to active military or those in the process of enlisting – if you’re on active military duty or in the process of signing up, you will not be eligible to apply for a Haven Life insurance policy
- Cannot use it to replace another policy – if you have another term life insurance in place and you want to replace it with Haven Life, you don’t have that option
The Bottom Line
Life insurance is one of those things you need to get while you’re young and healthy. However, don’t take out life insurance unless you have people who depend on you to support them. It’s meant to replace part of your income and help cover funeral costs in case something happens to you.
If you’re shopping around for policies, get a quote from Haven Life so you can compare it with your other options. They offer competitive rates and have the advantage of a paperless application process.
Do you have a term life insurance policy? What was your experience with the application process? Share in the comments.