Our guest for this episode is Benny Hsu, a podcaster, an iPhone app developer, an online entrepreneur and the blogger behind Get Busy Living, a blog dedicated to help people live an epic life. In August 2011, he released his first iPhone app, Photo 365, and in the first month alone, got featured as App of the Week by Apple and earned $30,000 in just 30 days. Benny has also found success earning 6-figures selling t-shirts online.
Highlights of my conversation with Benny
• Benny shares how his blog, Get Busy Living, got its name and the goal the blog aims to succeed in.
• How to change people’s mindset from being okay with working a 9 to 5 job as they don’t have any choice to really doing what they want as it is not impossible.
• About the app he developed, Photo 365, how outsourcing helped him get the job done and his life-changing realization after the income he gained from releasing the app.
• How he handled his initial success including making plans to improve his app, forming an LLC to treat app development as a business instead of a hobby, and how he knew when it was time to quit his day job.
• Continuing his mobile app ventures by reskinning games, what triggered his transition to sell shirts online and the peaks and valleys he has encountered in the business.
• The process he goes through in making and marketing his shirts and the tools and resources he leverages to get eyes on his merchandise.
• How he targets people in Facebook by filtering through job titles, interests, age groups, gender, income, country and other variables to narrow down and find the people that he wants to reach.
• The main expenses he shells out including marketing through Facebook ads, designers and Photoshop.
Quotes that Benny mentioned in this episode
“Get busy living or get busy dying.” – from the movie, Shawshank Redemption.
“By changing my mindset, it opened up more opportunities and more possibilities, and it gave me hope that I can achieve the lifestyle that I want.”
“I’m glad I took risks as it completely changed my life.”