Bad credit can really throw a wrench into your efforts to get ahead financially. Fortunately, there are many companies that can help you improve your credit, and in turn, your overall money situation.
Most credit repair companies offer many of the same services. They tend to specialize in helping you remove inaccurate or unfair items from your credit reports, and will do the work of challenging credit bureaus and creditors.
Some will even try to remove items such as bankruptcies and defaults if enough time has passed. The best of these firms will offer credit monitoring to ensure that you don’t run into problems in the future.
Keep in mind that you can do all of this work on your own for no charge. But if you want to save yourself the time and hassle, a credit repair company might be a good option.
Any reputable credit repair company should be well-versed in the details of the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The FCRA protects consumers from companies that cause inaccurate negative information to be added to their credit reports willfully or through negligence.
It’s important to know that you should be cautious before handing your money over to any company that promises a quick fix of your credit. There are some unsavory dealers in this space, so do your homework.
Table of Contents
Top Credit Repair Companies
Here’s a look at some of the more widely used and respected companies in the credit repair space.
Lexington Law operates in every U.S. state except Oregon and North Carolina. The firm was founded in 1991 and specializes in analyzing credit reports for incorrect or misleading information, and challenging the credit bureaus and creditors until such information is removed.
While Lexington Law specializes in credit repair, it also handles cases related to family law, criminal law and civil litigation. Based in North Salt Lake, Utah, it has 24 attorneys in 19 states.
Lexington Law makes no guarantees, but it claims that in 2017, it removed 10 million items from client credit reports. A 2014 study of its past clients saw the removal of an average of 10.4 items in four months across the three credit reports.
Lexington Law has 34 reviews on Trustpilot, with 74% rating the company as “excellent” and 11% rating it as “bad.” Their Trustpilot Rating is 4.1/5.
Besides the website, Lexington Law has a dedicated mobile app.
Lexington offers three service tiers:
- Concord Standard. $89.95 per month. With this most basic tier, Lexington will review your credit reports to ensure you’re being presented accurately and fairly. It will communicate with creditors and the credit bureaus regarding any incorrect information.
- Concord Premier. $109.95 per month. The same services as above, plus credit monitoring and alerts, monthly analysis of your credit score, and access to a special tool known as InquiryAssist that can help address report inquiries that often damage credit. Credit monitoring can be helpful if you’re worried about credit card fraud.
- PremierPlus. $129.85 per month. All of the services of Standard and Premier, plus a FICO score from TransUnion, real-time fraud alerts, and a personal finance manager tool. This tier also provides Lexington with the power to write cease and desist letters to creditors, when necessary.
With all three services, you are billed between five and 15 days after signing up. Service is month-to-month, and you can cancel at any time. Before signing on with Lexington Law, you can contact them to receive a free credit consultation, free TransUnion credit report summary, and a free credit report review with some recommended solutions.
The Pros and Cons of Lexington Law
- 28 years of experience
- Operated by legal experts
- Three tiers of service
- Free consultation
- More expensive than some competitors
- Initial fee of $99.
- Credit monitoring and alerts require purchase of a higher tier
- Not available in two states
- Discount for couples is not as high as some competitors’ discounts
Lexington Law has one of the best reputations among credit repair companies. You can take comfort in the company’s staff of experienced lawyers. They offer just about every service you might need to clean up problems with your credit reports.
Lexington’s offering of three tiers is a nice characteristic, as not everyone may need every service. However, if you’re price-conscious, you may save money by going to a competitor.
Read our full review of Lexington Law here.
Creditrepair.com is one of the most popular credit repair services, undoubtedly due to its easy-to-find website. The company was founded in 1997 and is based in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Creditrepair.com offers most of the standard services to help you find and dispute wrong or misleading items on your credit reports. The company uses a three-step approach (Check-Challenge-Change) to help you clean up your credit and improve your scores.
Creditrepair.com claims that past members have seen an average gain of 40 points on their TransUnion credit score within four months, and 70 points within a year. The company cites a 2013 study claiming that the average client saw 11.6 removals of credit report items across the three reports.
Creditrepair.com has 454 reviews on Trustpilot, with 68% rating it as “excellent” and 11% rating it as “bad.” Their Trustpilot rating is 4/5.
Creditrepair.com is easily found online but you can also call 866-266-4520. You can visit in person as well. There are three enrollment centers, with two located in Salt Lake City, Utah and another in Phoenix, Arizona.
Creditrepair.com offers a single tier of service for $99.95 per month. This includes:
- Identification of wrong or misleading information on credit reports
- Dispute claim filing
- Writing good faith letters
- Mobile app
- Score tracker and analysis
- Text and email alerts
The Pros and Cons of Creditrepair.com
- Free credit consultation, report summary and score evaluation
- TransUnion credit monitoring with alerts
- Nice user interface
- Robust education section online
- Dedicated mobile app
- No initial fee to start work.
- Not the cheapest option
- $14.99 additional charge to pull your credit report
- Not backed by a law firm
- Staff qualifications are opaque
- No money-back guarantee offered
Creditrepair.com is a solid option, with a full suite of services available at a single price. There are competitors with more services and competitors with lower prices, but this is a good all-around choice. The company’s online user interface is considered one of the best, and the inclusion of TransUnion credit monitoring with alerts is a nice feature. The in-person enrollment centers, though limited in number, are a bonus if you live near one.
Their Trustpilot rating is 4.7/5.
The company offers most of the must-have services to clean up your credit reports, including disputing errors and other misleading information. By signing on with Pyramid, you get access to a dedicated counselor, and you don’t pay anything up front.
Pyramid reports that it has 273 employees, including in-house attorneys. You can find it online at PyramidCreditRepair.com, or you can call 855-984-1867.
Pyramid Credit Repair Services
Pyramid Credit Repair offers two packages of services, including one for individuals and another for couples. The individual package costs $99 a month while the couples package is $189 a month.
- Dedicated dispute manager
- Removal of mistakes from your credit reports
- Removal of older items that should be discharged
- Reports from all three credit bureaus
- Online dashboard
- Personal finance and budgeting tools
Pros and Cons of Pyramid Credit Repair
- Free credit analysis and one-on-one consultation call
- No initial fee
- Dedicated couples service plan
- In-house attorneys
- No initial sign-up fee
- Shorter track record than competitors
- Higher price point than some, especially for couples package
- No identity theft or fraud alerts.
Pyramid is one of the newest players in this space, and it has promised to “reinvent the credit repair industry.” Whether it has accomplished this is certainly debatable, as service offerings are not much different than others.
However, there is a personal touch to Pyramid and some good uses of technology, including a slick personal dashboard and the ability to communicate with agents via text.
Given the specific service package for couples, Pyramid may be a good option for people who are married or who otherwise have intertwined finances. Pyramid is not the cheapest option, but its pricing is fair.
Ovation’s $69/month price point for its basic plan is among the lowest in the industry, though some consumers may find the overall service offerings to be lacking, especially if they seek goodwill or validation letters. The reviews of Ovation are good, but some competitors have better overall feedback.Learn More
Ovation is a credit repair service acquired by LendingTree, the popular online lender search platform. It offers a competitive suite of services.
The company has 52 reviews on Trustpilot, with 73% rating it “excellent,” 17% rating it “good” and 8% rating it “bad.”
They have a TrustPilot Rating of 4.7/5.
Ovation claims it has corrected 120,000 credit profiles, and averages 19 improvements per customer. You can find it online at OvationCredit.com or by calling 866-639-3426.
Ovation offers two tiers of service:
- Essentials Plan – $69 a month. Features unlimited disputes, a personal case advisor, professional credit analysis and some personal finance tools
- Essentials Plus – $99 a month. The same services as above, plus unlimited goodwill and validation letters, and TransUnion credit monitoring.
There are also custom options that can be added for $25 each. These options include a service that promises to send dispute letters to creditors on the same day you submit a dispute, and an Identity Optimization program designed to reduce the chances of you being victimized by an identity thief.
Pros and Cons of Ovation
- Backed by LendingTree
- Low-cost basic plan
- Fast-track service
- A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau
- No-risk refund policy
- Because it is a subsidiary of LendingTree, you may be subjected to loan advertisements.
- Initial fee on Essentials service ($114) is higher than some competitors.
- TransUnion credit monitoring not available on least expensive tier.
Ovation’s $69/month price point for its basic plan is among the lowest in the industry, though some consumers may find the overall service offerings to be lacking, especially if they seek goodwill or validation letters. The reviews of Ovation are good, but some competitors have better overall feedback.
The lack of a long track record is one possible negative, but the backing of LendingTree gives Ovation credibility. There is a reason to believe they will have the ability to devote resources to improve over time.
Best Basic Service
Credit Saint is a credit repair service that has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. Based in Oakland, N.J., it offers three tiers of service for people looking to have negative items removed from their credit reports.
Prices for Credit Saint services range from $59 per month to $99 per month, with relatively high fees to start work ($99 or $195, depending on service tier.). The company does offer a 90-day money back guarantee.
Credit Saint currently has just six reviews on Trustpilot, but five
Credit Saint Services
Credit Saint has three service packages. They include:
- Credit Polish. $99 initial fee and $59 a month. With this package, the company will take care of most of the basic things that damage a person’s credit report, including charge-offs, collections, identity theft issues, late payments and incorrect information.
- Credit Remodel. $99 initial fee, then $79 per month. This tier includes all of the above, plus the company will work to remove bankruptcies and repossessions.
- Clean Slate. $189 initial fee, then $99 per month. With Clean Slate, the company will also look to remove judgments from your credit reports.
Pros and Cons of Credit Saint
- Several service tiers, including an inexpensive $59 option.
- 90-day money-back guarantee.
- Guidance on building a solid credit history over time
- Potential to remove bankruptcies, repossessions and judgments.
- High initial fees
- No credit monitoring
- No spouse discount
- Only the top-tier package offers unlimited disputes
Credit Saint is a fine choice for people looking for basic service or a more aggressive approach. Some consumers looking to get their credit reports in perfect condition may find that Credit Saint is the best option, though it’s doubtful that any company can have a perfect track record of removing bankruptcies, repossessions and judgements. Credit Saint’s monthly fees are competitive, but the high initial fees cut into any savings.
Related Post: Credit Saint Review
Best for Quick Results
Sky Blue is arguably the best credit repair option if you’re price sensitive. While its offerings are not quite as comprehensive as others, it does offer some items (such as cease and desist letters) that others charge extra for. Sky Blue also takes pride in working quickly, which could result in faster resolutions and cost savings for you.Learn More
Sky Blue is based in Boca Raton, Florida and has been in business since 1989. It specializes in cleaning up errors on your credit reports and working to improving your credit score. It also offers guidance in credit management to help you get the best score.
The company aims for fast results by sending out rounds of disputes on a 35-day cycle (other companies send out letters every 45 or 60 days) but is also careful to space out the pacing of dispute letters to avoid being rejected as frivolous. It also limits the number of disputes per letter to five, to avoid outright rejection.
Sky Blue has a 90-day guarantee, promising to return your money within that timespan if you are not happy with the results. The company bills monthly, but you can freeze or cancel your service at any time.
Sky Blue does not currently have any reviews on Trustpilot, but has an overall five-star rating at ConsumerAffairs.com based on 52 reviews.
The company can be found online at skybluecredit.com, or by calling 888-534-1510.
Sky Blue Services
Sky Blue has just one membership option, for $79 per month with a $79 initial fee. It includes:
- Identification of wrong or misleading information on credit reports
- Dispute claim filing
- FICO score assistance
- Help with rebuilding credit
- Debt validation
- Cease and desist letters
The Pros and Cons of Sky Blue
- Single, low $79/month price point with all services included
- Fast-paced dispute cycle
- 90-day money back guarantee
- No fraud alerts
- No identity theft insurance
- Not backed by a law firm
Sky Blue is arguably the best credit repair option if you’re price sensitive. While its offerings are not quite as comprehensive as others, it does offer some items (such as cease and desist letters) that others charge extra for. Sky Blue also takes pride in working quickly, which could result in faster resolutions and cost savings for you.
Related Post: Sky Blue Credit Repair Review
The Credit People offers a solid option for credit repair services, especially for those looking for a low price point. While its offerings are not quite as comprehensive as some competitors, it does offer the most essential services and is willing to go beyond the basics to not only clean up errors on your credit reports, but find other ways to improve your score.Learn More
Based in Cottonwood Heights, Utah, The Credit People will work to remove negative items from your credit report and perform other work to boost your credit score. It is one of the least expensive credit repair options.
The Credit People claims it follows a “score-driven” approach, which means that it will work to try to raise your credit score through every possible avenue, beyond just correcting negative items.This includes offering advice on when to open and close accounts, whether to apply for new credit cards, and tips on how to keep revolving debt low.
While the company makes no specific promises of success, it claims that it has been successful in removing foreclosures and even bankruptcies from credit reports, especially for incidents that happened more than seven years ago.
The Credit People offers a single $79 per month price, but will allow you to try the service out for $19 for seven days. If you and a spouse sign up at the same time, The Credit People offers you each a $20 discount on the first payment.
The Credit People says it will assign a team of as many as three people to your account, but that you can request a single agent.
You can reach The Credit People at TheCreditPeople.com or by calling 844-528-2246.
The Credit People Services
For $79 a month, The Credit People offers a suite of services that includes:
- Identification of negative credit report items
- Unlimited disputes
- Negotiations on outstanding debts and collections
- Credit reports and scores from all three bureaus
- Debt and inquiry validations
- Reference letter to lenders (in which the company “vouches” for your creditworthiness.)
- Credit check assistance
Pros and Cons of The Credit People
- Low $79/month price point.
- Lower initial fee than some competitors. Typically, this is $39, but can drop to $19 during promo periods.
- Six-month money-back guarantee
- Minimal spouse discount
- No fraud alerts
- No identity theft insurance
The Credit People offers a solid option for credit repair services, especially for those looking for a low price point. While its offerings are not quite as comprehensive as some competitors, it does offer the most essential services and is willing to go beyond the basics to not only clean up errors on your credit reports, but find other ways to improve your score. The Credit People also offers one of the best money-back guarantees in the industry.
Consumers are fortunate to have a good selection of companies that can offer services to repair credit. The competition has allowed pricing to remain relatively low and customer service to remain high.
Based on online reviews in places like Trustpilot, customer sentiment seems to favor Lexington Law because of its staff attorneys and broad service tiers. Those looking to spend a little bit less may prefer to go with a competitor such as The Credit People or Ovation. Credit Saint also offers a nice selection of services at various price points.
Before you sign on with a credit repair firm, remember that these companies aren’t necessarily offering services that you can’t carry out yourself. In many cases, hiring a credit repair company can save you time and hassle. But they may also cost you hundreds of dollars, especially if resolving your credit takes a while.
Before signing on with a credit repair service, ask yourself these questions:
- How much are my credit problems costing me?
- If I hire a credit repair service, what will I end up paying?
- Can I easily address the problems on by credit report myself?
- Are the negative items on my credit report even removable? (For example, a company may be able to help you remove a late payment on a student loan, but it can’t make student loan debt go away.)
Keep in mind that even the best of these companies won’t be able to help you with underlying financial problems, such as bad spending habits or a track record of failing to pay bills
Have you used any of these credit repair companies? If so, have they been successful in removing negative items from your credit report and improving your credit score? Tell us on the Well Kept Wallet Facebook page.