Looking for an alternative to Chime for online checking? Look no further.
The best online-only checking accounts don’t charge fees. And, mobile deposit and free ATM access make online banking easy.
If you’re like most people, you rarely walk into a bank anymore. With direct deposit, you no longer have to deposit a check each month. If you do receive a paper check, you can deposit it using a mobile app.
When you need to pay a bill, you probably use online bill pay. And the online bank will send a free check when a paper check is required.
You still need a local bank to make cash deposits. Otherwise, online checking accounts can handle most of your banking needs.
Chime is a financial technology company, not a bank. Banking services provided by, and debit card issued by, The Bancorp Bank or Stride Bank, N.A.; Members FDIC.
Editor’s Top Picks
|LendingClub Banking||Get 1% cash back on purchases|
|Axos Banking||Earn up to 1.25% interest|
|Ally Bank||Get .10% on balances under $15,000|
In This Article
Top Online Checking Accounts Like Chime
You’ll notice there are many free online checking accounts. To choose one, focus on what benefits you want.
Some of these benefits include:
- Free ATM access
- Interest earned on deposits
- Debit card purchase rewards
- Overdraft protection
- Paper checks
Every online financial technology company like Chime offers different benefits. For example, some online companies don’t offer paper checks. But they will mail a check for free when digital payment isn’t possible.
1. Axos Bank
- Unlimited domestic ATM fee reimbursements
- No monthly service fees
- Earn above-average interest rates
- May require a minimum deposit
Axos Bank offers five different online checking accounts. One account is for seniors (age 55+) and another is for teens between ages 13 and 17.
The other three standard accounts are open to all members. As you probably expect, the banking rewards are different for each account option.
All five accounts are free to open and don’t charge monthly maintenance fees. And none of them require minimum balances. Below is a brief summary of the two best standard accounts.
The Essential Checking option is free and simple to use. For fee-free checking, consider this Axos Bank product.
You can enjoy these benefits:
- Unlimited domestic ATMs
- No monthly fees
- No overdraft or insufficient fund fees
It’s also possible to receive your direct deposit up to two days early. This account doesn’t earn interest but it’s easy to avoid common bank fees.
The Rewards Checking account gives you the opportunity to earn up to 1% interest.
For each debit card transaction, the minimum purchase amount is $3 to earn rewards. By making at least fifteen in-person purchases, you earn 0.8332% APY for the month.
You also have unlimited domestic ATM withdrawals. Besides, you won’t pay any overdraft or non-sufficient funds fees, either.
The minimum initial deposit is $50 yet there isn’t an ongoing minimum balance.
Watch for sign-up offers as well.
You can get up to 1% back on all signature-based debit card transactions — that is, any time you make an in-person purchase with your card.
It’s possible to earn up to $2,000 back each month in debit card purchases. But you must maintain a minimum $1,500 account balance.
You earn 0.50% back on qualifying purchases if the balance dips below $1,500.
This can be a better option than rewards checking if you earn more in purchase rewards. And again, remember the tax implications of interest earned (taxable) vs. cash back (not taxable).
Like the Rewards Checking option, you have free domestic ATM withdrawals.
- Two ways to earn checking rewards
- Zero account fees or account minimums
- Free unlimited domestic ATM access
- No overdraft or non-sufficient fund fees
- Golden Age and First Checking accounts don’t have unlimited free ATM access
- 0.75% APY for first $20,000
- FDIC insured up to $250,000
- No application or prepayment fees for loans
LendingClub Banking is another online financial technology company like Chime that offers personal and business checking accounts. You get unlimited free ATM rebates worldwide. Plus, you can earn up to 0.15% APY interest.
All accounts come with a debit card and free paper checks are available. After all, there are still times when you need to write a check.
LendingClub Banking currently offers one checking account option for personal use. Business checking accounts are available too.
The most rewarding is the Rewards Checking account. You won’t pay a monthly maintenance fee and you only need a $100 first deposit.
If you own a business you might like the LendingClub Banking Tailored Checking account. It too doesn’t have ATM fees and you get free online bill pay. Keeping a $5,000 account balance waives the $10 monthly account fee and pays 0.10% APY on your entire balance.
Related Post: Best Bank Accounts for Business
Below is a more in-depth look at both of these LendingClub Banking checking accounts.
The Rewards Checking only requires a $100 opening deposit. You don’t have to maintain a minimum balance. And you never have to worry about a monthly maintenance fee.
However, you maximize this checking account by having a minimum $2,500 account balance. With this balance, you can earn interest and debit card rewards.
It’s possible to earn up to 0.15% APY on your account balance:
- Earn 0.10% APY on balances of $2,500 to $99,999
- Earn 0.15% APY on balances of $100,000 and up
You can also get 1% back each month on your debit card purchases. Simply maintain a $2,500 account balance or have at least $2,500 in monthly direct deposits.
There are two other Rewards Checking perks you may enjoy. First, you have unlimited ATM fee rebates. Second, it’s possible to get your paycheck up to two days early.
LendingClub Banking doesn’t require you to keep a minimum balance. But there is a minimum $100 initial deposit to open a Rewards Checking account.
You may decide to open an account for the free ATMs. Then, you can park your extra cash in a high-yield savings account to earn a higher interest rate.
The LendingClub Banking app also lets you make a budget and analyze your spending trends. Plus, you track your non-LendingClub Banking account balances.
LendingClub Banking also offers small business checking with its Tailored Checking option. Like the personal checking accounts, LendingClub Banking waives all ATM fees worldwide. You only need a $100 deposit to open an account.
However, you must maintain a $5,000 balance to avoid the $10 monthly maintenance fee. Keeping this balance also means you earn 0.10% APY.
You get free and unlimited online bill pay for employees and vendors. Paper business checks are also available to order. LendingClub Banking also offers Autobooks software to track your spending and send invoices.
- Personal and business checking accounts
- Unlimited free ATM withdrawals
- Only need $100 to open an account
- First box of paper checks is free
- Must have high account balance to earn interest and debit rewards
- Tailored Checking account may have $10 monthly account fee
3. Consumer Credit Union
- Earn up to 4.09% APY
- Unlimited reimbursement for any and all
- Get paid a day early with Early Direct Deposit
There is no minimum balance amount, earn interest and avoid fees at Consumers Credit Union.
You can earn up to 4.09% APY on the first $10,000 in deposits when you complete these monthly actions:
- Complete 12 debit card purchases with a total purchase value of $100+
- At least $500 in monthly direct deposit or ACH deposits
- At least $1000 in purchases on a CCU credit card
Making 12 debit card purchases and $500 in direct deposits let you earn 3.09% APY on your first $10,000. Reaching these monthly milestones also gives you unlimited free ATM access.
Your rewards checking account also provides free online bill pay, online banks and unlimited checks.
Unlike most of the best online checking accounts, you have local branch access. Consumers Credit Union has over 5,000 shared branches nationwide.
- Minimal membership requirements
- No-fee reward program
- Unlimited ATM network
- Required activity to earn APY
- Overdraft fees
- Offers a $10 sign up bonus
- Low monthly service fees
- $0 Account minimum
- Round up purchases and apply towards investing
Acorns offers an online checking account with a debit card via the Acorns Spend product. There are also over 55,000 free fee-free ATMs and automatic savings transfers.
As Acorns is a micro-investing app, it’s possible to have your spending money and investing money at the same place.
The app can round up your purchases and invests that extra amount. And Acorns invests your online shopping rewards, too. These features make it easy to invest small amounts of money.
You will pay $3 a month to get an Acorns Spend checking account. But you also have access to the regular Acorns Core investing app and the Acorns Later IRA retirement account.
For $5 a month, you can also open investing accounts for your children.
Acorns won’t invest your checking account balance. However, you can have Acorns invest your spare change each year.
So let’s assume you already pay $1 a month for Acorns Core. If so, you pay $2 more for the Acorns checking account. And if you use the Acorns Later IRA, you only pay $1 more per month.
Paying a monthly service fee is a downside. As a tradeoff, you get unlimited free ATM access. This benefit alone pays the monthly $3 fee if you regularly pay ATM fees now.
With Acorns Spend, you can enjoy these online banking benefits:
- Direct deposit
- Mobile check deposit
- Check sending
- Bank-to-bank transfers
- Unlimited free ATM access
You can also use Acorns to create spending strategies. This tool helps you live within your means by letting you create savings goals and track spending.
- Unlimited free ATM access
- Access to the entire Acorns micro-investing platform
- Debit card included
- Can send checks through Acorns app
- $3 monthly fee
- Fewer features than some other online checking accounts
- Only select online stores earn cash back rewards
5. Bank5 Connect
- Offers High-Interest Checking at 0.20% APY
- Free ATMs
- No Maintenance Fees
With a Bank5 Connect High Interest Checking Account, you enjoy these benefits:
- $15 monthly ATM fee credit
- 0.20% APY on all balances greater than $100
- Cash back debit card rewards
- Free first order of basic checks
It’s free to open a Bank5 Connect account. The minimum initial deposit is $10, but try to find another $90 to deposit so you can start earning interest.
You also have free online bill pay and mobile banking.
Bank5 Connect is one of the most well-rounded banks on this list. You don’t need a high account balance to earn a good interest rate. And you get free ATM access and debit card rewards.
In addition to free bill pay and paper checks, cashier’s checks are free, too. These checks usually cost $10 to $15 at most banks.
You will pay a $15 insufficient funds fee, but overdraft transfers are free. Opting for paper account statements costs $1 per month.
- Competitive interest rate with a minimum account balance of $100
- $15 monthly ATM fee credits
- Debit card purchase rewards
- Must have $100 account balance to earn interest
- Must deposit $10 to open an account
- No monthly fees and no minimum opening deposit
- No monthly balance requirements
- Annual percentage yield 0.40%
- ATM withdrawals at over 60,000 locations
This next option is a rewards-earning online checking account. Discover has a Cashback Debit pays you 1% back on debit card purchases. This bonus applies to the first $3,000 in monthly debit card purchases. Each month, you can earn up to $30 in cash rewards.
Also, Discover doesn’t have any account fees or balance requirements. You also have access to 60,000 fee-free ATMs in the U.S.
Online bill pay and standard paper checks are free. Sending money to friends with Zelle is free and fast.
Even official bank checks (cashier’s checks) are free. These checks usually cost $10 to $15 at most banks.
Another nifty perk is that Discover waives your first fee each calendar year. So you might be able to save $30 on an overdraft fee. Or $15 on a stop payment fee.
- 1% back on first $3,000 in monthly debit card purchases
- First fee forgiveness each calendar year
- 60,000+ free ATMs in the U.S.
- $30 overdraft fee (maximum of one charge per day)
7. Ally Bank
- Earn up to 4.09% APY
- No balance requirements
- Large fee-free ATM network
Ally Bank pays interest on your account balance, up to 0.25% APY. And, Ally reimburses your first $10 in ATM fees each month.
You earn 0.10% on account balances less than $15,000. Then, when your balance goes over $15,000, you’ll earn 0.25% APY.
There are also 43,000 fee-free Allpoint ATMs you can use. For non-network ATMs, Ally reimburses your first $10 in fees each month. So if you regularly use ATMs that charge a $4 fee, that means two free withdrawals each month.
One downside is that if you overdraft, Ally charges a $25 insufficient funds fee once a day.
However, Ally makes it easy to send money to friends. With Zelle, you can quickly send money to any U.S. bank account. You only need an email address or U.S. mobile number.
- First $10 in monthly ATM fees are waived
- Quickly send money to friends and family with Zelle
- All account deposits earn interest daily
- Fewer fee-free ATMs than other online banks
- No paper checks
8. Capital One 360
- Earn Rewards
- No fees, no minimums and early direct deposit
- Free overdraft protection
For the online-only arm of Capital One, open a 360 Checking account. You won’t pay any account fees and you won’t have to maintain a minimum balance.
With 360 Checking, you can’t visit a Capital One branch for help. But you can stop by a Capital One Cafe if you need help. You have mobile deposit and online bill pay with 360 Checking, plus online support.
If you still need paper checks, your first book is free. And you can use online bill pay or your debit card to pay bills, too.
Your entire account balance also earns interest.
Capital One currently uses a three-tier model:
- $0 to $49,999.99 earns 0.10% APY
- $50,000 to $99,999.99 earns 0.10% APY
- $100,000+ earns 0.10% APY
These interest rates are better than nothing. But you can earn more on your extra cash in a good online savings provider like Aspiration Bank.
Three Free Overdraft Protection Benefits
Capital One offers three free overdraft protection tools:
- Auto-Decline: Capital One declines the transaction when you try to pay but don’t have enough funds in your account
- Free Savings Transfer: You can transfer from another Capital One account
- Next Day Grace: Transfer money within one business day to avoid the $35 overdraft fee
If your check bounces, Capital One still charges a $9 non-sufficient funds fee. But, at least you save $35 in overdraft fees. For online banks, $35 is high for an overdraft fee.
A fourth overdraft protection option is a line of credit. You want to avoid this option since it’s like a credit card balance. Each day, your outstanding balance accrues interest that you must repay.
- Flexible overdraft protection options
- 39,000+ free Capital One and Allpoint ATMs
- Entire account balance earns interest
- High overdraft fee of $35 per day
- No fee credits for non-network ATMs
9. Fidelity Cash Management Account
- FDIC coverage up to $1.25 million
- No account fees
- ATM reimbursements and no minimum balances
Fidelity is one of the best online stock brokerages, with fee-free index funds, free investing accounts and fractional investing.
But you can also bank with Fidelity.
Its fee-free checking account is known as a “Cash Management Account.”
It comes with these free perks:
- Debit card
- Unlimited U.S. ATM withdrawals
- Paper checks
- Online bill pay
- FDIC insurance up to $1.25 million
If you invest with Fidelity, you can easily move money from your checking account to your brokerage accounts. If you invest with a different online broker, it can take three days to transfer funds.
To prevent overdraft fees, Fidelity lets you set a target balance. For example, let’s say your target balance is $500. If your balance dips to $450, they transfer $50 from a linked account. Fidelity calls this their Cash Manager Tool.
You can also deposit checks with mobile deposit. And you can schedule automatic investments and withdrawals, too.
While better than nothing, account balances only earn 0.01% APY.
- Unlimited fee-free ATMs in the U.S.
- Free overdraft protection (Cash Manager)
- FDIC insurance up to $1.25 million
- You still pay for foreign ATM fees
- Account balance only earns 0.01% APY
10. Charles Schwab
- No service fees or account minimums
- No foreign transaction fees
- Unlimited ATM fee rebates worldwide
Charles Schwab is great for unlimited ATM fee refunds. Many global travelers like Schwab’s online checking. The main reason is that it waives foreign ATM fees.
And, your entire account balance earns 0.03% APY. This interest rate is higher than some online checking account rates. And, you don’t have to keep a high account balance.
You can also get paper checks for free along with online bill pay and mobile deposit.
One of the biggest cons is that you must have a Schwab brokerage account. The good news is that the Schwab investing account is free and has no account minimums.
If you don’t want to invest with Charles Schwab, avoid this online bank.
- No ATM fees anywhere in the world
- Deposits earn interest
- Paper checks
- Interest rate is lower than other high-interest checking accounts
- Must also have a Schwab One brokerage account
If you are tired of fees, switch to an online checking account like Chime. You’ll get all the benefits of a regular account, except possibly paper checks.
You can also earn debit card rewards or interest.
Disclaimer: Chime is a financial technology company, not a bank. Banking services provided by, and debit card issued by, The Bancorp Bank or Stride Bank, N.A.; Members FDIC.