One way to bring in some extra cash is to become a driver for a delivery app. You can deliver packages, restaurant orders, groceries, and more.
Delivery apps give you the flexibility to work whenever you want. You can often choose which deliveries you take and reject ones that don’t fit your schedule.
Best Delivery Apps to Make Money
Delivery apps allow you, as a contractor, to deliver as you please. You have a lot more control over what and where you deliver than working for one company.
It’s possible to deliver for multiple apps so you can keep making money.
Let’s face it; it’s more fun when you get to have control over what tasks you do. On that note, these are some of the best delivery apps to work for.
1. Uber Eats
You probably have heard of Uber before. Uber is a ridesharing app that transports people. However, you may not be comfortable driving people around town.
Well, Uber Eats lets you deliver food to customers instead. As with the other Food delivery apps, you have flexible hours when you deliver with Uber Eats.
You can also choose your own wheels. Depending on the city you live in, you can deliver with a car, scooter, bicycle, or other modes of transportation.
Uber Eats food delivery services are available in many cities throughout the United States. As an independent contractor, the Uber delivery app pays you for each delivery. It’s possible to request payments up to five times daily. You can also earn tips as many Uber Eats delivery partners do.
Note: you do have to be at least 19 years of age to deliver with Uber Eats. You also need a car that is 2000 or newer.
- Flexible delivery modes (bike, car, walk, scooter)
- InstantPay allows you to cash out up to 5x a day
- Scooter drivers must be at least 19 years of age
- Car must be 2000 or newer
Learn more: Uber Eats Review
DoorDash specializes in delivering restaurant meals as a Dasher to hungry clients. Dashers use the DoorDash app to find jobs delivering to people. You can make about $2 – $10 per delivery plus tip.
As a Dasher, you provide restaurant delivery to homes and businesses. For instance, you may deliver a fast food one order and sushi the next time.
When you deliver with DoorDash, you get paid per delivery.
Dashers must be at least 18 years of age and can start delivering as soon as you join.
Also, you cannot have more than three moving violations in the last three years. Dashers need driving records that are free of major violations such as DUI and assault.
- Scooter, bike, and motorcycle dashers allowed in some cities
- Expansive delivery area
- Sign on to deliver wherever you are, even if you’re just visiting
- No DUIs or assaults on record
- New drivers will have to work hard to get Preferred status
Learn more: Doordash Review
Postmates delivery drivers deliver all sorts of things. You might deliver a restaurant meal, groceries, or a liquor store order. This diversity means you may find more delivery gigs.
This delivery company operates in many cities across the United States.
You have to be 18 years of age or older to be a Postmates deliverer. Owning a qualified delivery vehicle for your city (car, bicycle, scooter, etc.) is also a must.
Postmates hires deliverers with an upbeat and positive attitude. Your great work ethic can help you earn customer tips.
The Postmates website says that their drivers earn up to $25 per hour.
- Make your own schedule
- Car, scooters, and bikes allowed
- Mid-size and larger cities only
- Background check required
Related Post: Postmates Review
Instacart shoppers deliver groceries to people at home. Their app makes it easy to get jobs and make money fast.
You can make the most money as a full-service shopper, but you must own a car. As a shopper, you shop the grocery store aisles for peoples’ groceries on the Instacart app.
Then you’ll hop in your car and deliver the groceries to the client. As with DoorDash, you choose the hours you work.
You have the pleasure of choosing your work schedule based on what’s best for you. With the Instacart delivery service, you get paid weekly – plus you can earn tips as well.
It helps to know the basic layout of local grocery stores in your area. This will help you earn more as you’ll be able to shop faster for customers. Shopping faster means you can make more deliveries and boost your hourly rate.
If you don’t own a car or don’t want to deliver, you can still be an in-store shopper. You will gather the order for the customer to pick up.
Instacart can be a fun side hustle if you like the idea of shopping/delivering groceries.
Learn More: Instacart Shopper Review
- Available in over 5,500 U.S. cities
- Choose your own schedule
- Must be able to lift at least 30 to 40 pounds
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
Shipt states you can earn up to $22 per hour by delivering groceries. You can earn more in certain cities. Weekly payments make it easy to earn a steady income.
Most Shipt orders are grocery deliveries so you will need a basic knowledge of fresh produce. You will shop for the items and deliver them to the customer.
Some of the stores you can deliver for include:
- CVS Pharmacy
It’s also possible to deliver merchandise for stores like Office Depot and Petco. You may prefer grocery delivery as you help deliver essential items.
As a Shipt driver or Shopper, you can also get free membership ($99 per year) for home grocery delivery.
- Free shipping on purchases
- Free return shipping
- No returns accepted beyond 45 days
- Doesn’t offer product exchanges
Learn More: Shipt Review
6. Favor Delivery
As with Postmates, Favor Delivery will deliver what clients need in less than an hour. You can work part-time or full-time as one of Favor’s “runners.”
When you’re a runner with Favor, you’re more like a personal assistant. You might deliver groceries, meals from local restaurants, or pick up and deliver a dry cleaning order.
Favor can be an interesting way to make money with your car.
To be a runner, you have to be 18 years of age or older and have a reliable vehicle. You also need to have a clean driving and personal record.
All scheduled hours have minimum guaranteed pay rates. Most runners earn between $10 and $18 per hour.
Note: you get to keep 100% of your tips.
Favor is available in a variety of U.S. cities, including:
- Arlington, Dallas, and Fort Worth, Texas
- Washington DC
- Arlington and Falls Church, Virginia
- Eugene, Oregon
- Brooklyn, New York
Check the Favor Delivery website today to see if they are in your hometown
Related Post: Best Jobs Like Instacart
The Caviar app is a food delivery service that allows you to deliver food orders to clients.
When clients want food delivered, they need drivers like you to bring it to them.
As a Caviar courier, you can make up to $25 per hour. You get to see earnings, pickup, and drop off locations before you take a job.
Knowing where you’ll be going and what you’ll earn helps you find the best gigs.
Note: As a Caviar courier, you can choose to get paid after each and every delivery. All payments go to your Cash App account.
Also, Caviar has a dedicated support team in place that is ready to chat whenever you need them.
To be a Caviar courier, you need to be 18 years of age and have a car, truck, scooter, or another vehicle. Remember that each city has its own ordinances regarding what types of vehicles you can use for delivery.
And you need a working smartphone so that you can check for jobs on the Caviar app.
Saucey offers 30-minute delivery of your favorite alcoholic beverages right to your door. The delivery window is narrower than several other delivery apps.
As a Saucey courier, you can choose which hours you work. You will use your vehicle to make deliveries.
And you can choose to deliver in a part of town that you’re familiar with. This is important because Saucey operates in large cities.
Saucey currently operates in these metropolitan areas:
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco
- San Diego
- Washington, D.C.
They do ship to other areas of the country, but of course, you wouldn’t be delivering there. When you deliver with Saucey, you’ll earn cash for each delivery. You also have the potential to earn tips.
Note that you have to be 21 years of age in order to deliver for Saucey.
- Choose your own hours
- Tips can be generous
- Limited number of cities available
- Minimum age of 21 years old
If you live in California, you can deliver with Eaze. Well, you actually don’t work for Eaze. Instead, you deliver for one of the dispensaries that Eaze works with.
You see, the Eaze app helps cocoordinatearijuana order deliveries to customers. Drivers like you to make these deliveries.
When you drive for an approved dispensary, you’ll generally work between 9 a.m. and 10 p.m. You make an hourly wage from the dispensary, plus mileage reimbursement for each delivery.
Note: You may earn tips as well.
- Easy-to-use app
- Growing industry
- Limited locations
- Pass a background check
10. Amazon Flex
Amazon Flex is a delivery service of Amazon. When you deliver for Amazon Flex, you will pick up and deliver orders from Amazon, Amazon Prime, and Amazon Fresh.
A few features include:
- Mid-size or larger vehicles required
- 21+ years of age
- 2-4 hour delivery blocks available
You will be delivering packages from Amazon fulfillment centers for your chosen, prescheduled shifts.
The Amazon Flex website says that most Amazon Flex drivers earn between $18 and $25 per hour when you include tips.
One nice thing about driving for Amazon is that you get paid twice weekly. Payments are made via Direct Deposit
- Frequent payouts
- Expansive location list
- Mid-size or larger vehicle needed
- 21+ or older
Learn More: Is Amazon Flex Worth It?
The idea for Gopuff was born in 2013 by two college students who worked to fulfill a need by delivering goods to fellow college students.
- Available in over 1,000 cities in the U.S. and Europe
- Over 500 independent fulfillment centers
- Open 24/7
- Rewards program for drivers
- 2.2 Trustpilot score
One nice thing about driving for GoPuff is that pickup is all in one centralized location.
That means no worries about finding parking or about parking costs. You can choose the hours you work as a Gopuff driver.
And you get to keep 100% of the tips along with the transparent per-trip delivery pay.
You do need to be 21 years of age or older to drive with Gopuff and be willing to take and pass an alcohol delivery course.
Your car and the insurance on your car need to be in your name, and you need to have an up-to-date smartphone to work here.
GoPuff delivery drivers earn up to $21+ per hour and are hired as independent contractors.
- One pickup location
- Free, convenient parking
- Limited locations
- Background check
Grubhub operates in 2,700 cities. They also have a partnership with over 140,000 restaurants. Grubhub also owns Seamless, which has a Trust Pilot score of 2.8 stars.
Of all the apps, Grubhub is simple to use. Like other delivery companies to work for, Grubhub delivery is very similar in that you need a car, a valid driver’s license, and a smartphone.
- An expansive list of available cities
- “Smart Scheduling” helps drivers get the hours they want
- Must be at least 19 years of age
- Newer phone required
13. Bite Squad
Bite Squad is in over 80 cities across the country, with plans to continue growing. Currently, drivers can work for Bite Squad in Arkansas, Florida, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Hawaii, Minnesota, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin.
When you work with Bite Squad, you’ll be an independent contract with access to the app. You’ll have the choice of working hours, volume, and more. One nice perk is that you can cash out at any time.
You have to use your own car as a Grubhub driver. But you can tap into discounts at Jiffy Luber, Goodyear, O’Reilly Auto Parts, and more.
- Competitive rates
- Easy-to-use app
- Flexible hours
- Available in a limited number of states
- Must pay your own taxes as an independent contractor
- Must have a clean driving record
The world has so many delivery apps. It’s not surprising if you haven’t heard of Delivery.com.
It’s available in 33 states and counting. But it offers drivers the chance to deliver much more than takeout. You can deliver food, alcohol, groceries, laundry, and more.
The downside is that a lack of name recognition might mean fewer customers are placing orders through the app. However, the option to deliver more than just food might be a nice way to mix things up.
- Many different delivery tasks
- Highly rated mobile app
- Set your own hours
- Must be 21 years old
- Less recognition might mean fewer orders
How To Pick The Best Delivery App Job
When selecting the right delivery app for your situation, it’s often easier said than done. After all, you want to choose one that works for your needs. Consider running through the questions below to find the best delivery app for you:
- Where is the app available? Start by finding out whether or not the delivery app of your choice is available in your location. In some cases, this step will eliminate a number of your options. But in major cities, this question might not narrow the playing field at all.
- What are the minimum requirements? Some of the apps have minimum requirements that could eliminate it from your list. For example, some apps require you to be 21 to get started. Some require a clean driving record, while others are comfortable with a few speeding tickets. Take a close look at the requirements before submitting an application to avoid wasting your time.
- What are the working requirements? Some apps require you to set up regular hours. But most offer flexibility over your entire schedule. Don’t sign up for an app with a schedule that doesn’t suit your needs.
- Are you comfortable with the deliveries? If you aren’t comfortable with late-night deliveries, then an app that offers alcohol runs might not be the right fit for you.
- Does the delivery job offer peak pay? Some of the best food delivery services and apps offer special bonuses for delivering during peak hours or times with driver shortages. Peak pay wages are a great perk for when a delivery driver wants to earn more money.
How Do You Earn More Tips?
When it comes to maximizing your earnings as a delivery driver, earning good tips is key. Although the tips sent by customers are not guaranteed, there are some strategies you can use to increase your tips.
A few ways to boost your tip earnings include:
- Communicate with the customer: If an order is running behind schedule, send the customer a quick update. Most appreciate the effort to update them on their delivery’s arrival time.
- Handle delivery items with care: Regardless of what you are delivering, the customer wants to receive it in good condition. Whether you are driving or biking, choose a secure place to transport items. If carrying food, consider getting an insulating bag to keep hot foods warm and a cooler for cold foods.
- Find efficient routes: Use your smartphone the find the most efficient route to your customer. You don’t want to waste time on the wrong streets.
- Choose a busy time: You are more likely to get a good tip during the peak delivery hours due to sheer volume. Track your tips over time to find the best window for top tips.
- Be nice to the customer: When you arrive with the items, a small compliment and a smile can go a long way.
Learn More: 15 Best Apps Like Instacart
How Do These Delivery Apps Compare?
*Hourly pay based on estimates
Frequently Asked Questions
When it comes to knowing which delivery app is best for you, there may be a few questions. Here are a few that may help.
As you can see, there are many ways to make money in the delivery business; you can choose to deliver just about anything you want.
Note that you’re an independent contractor for all of these delivery apps. You will need to track your income and expenses to claim tax deductions.
You will pay taxes on any income you earn, including tips. These apps don’t withhold income tax like your day job might.
We recommend saving a portion of all delivery income to avoid a surprise tax bill.
And remember, what effort you put into anything will make a difference. Delivery jobs are a great way to get after it!!